Old Testament Life and Literature
Gerald A. Larue
Table of Contents
Part One: The Bible and How We Study It
The development of the Canon. Why do we read?
The problem of history. History and legend. Myth, fable and other literary categories. Poetry. Problems of text and authorship.
3. The Analysis of the Pentateuch
The Deuteronomic history. Cultic interpretation. Oral tradition. Form criticism. Archaeological and linguistic studies.
Part Two: Before There Was an Israel
6. The People, From the Paleolithic to the Chalcolithic Periods
7. The People, From the Early Bronze to the Early Iron Ages
Part Three: The Hebrews
Problems with dates and places.
The invasion of Canaan. The judges.
Part Four: The Monarchy
The J saga. The role of Moses. Monarchy and law.
Part Five: The Divided Kingdom
14. The History of the Kingdoms
The E saga.
16. Prophecy and the Earliest Prophets
The nature of prophecy. The earliest prophets.
Isaiah of Jerusalem. Micah.
Part Six: The Last 100 Years of Judah
19. From Manasseh to the Deuteronomic Reform
Zephaniah. The Deuteronomic era. Deuteronomy.
20. From the Fall of Nineveh to the Fall of Judah
Nahum. The growth of Neo-Babylonian power. Habbakuk. The last days of Judah. Jeremiah.
Part Seven: The Exile
21. Life and Literature of the Early Period
22. Literature of the Middle Period
Job. Continuing interpretation in the prophets. The Deuteronomists. The Holiness code. The Priestly source.
23. Life and Literature of the Late Period
The last days of the Neo-Babylonian empire. The Akitu festival. The rise of the Persian empire. Zoroastrian religion. The writings of Deutero-Isaiah.
Part Eight: The Persian Period
24. Life and Literature of the Early Period
Trito-Isaiah. Haggai. Zechariah. The completion of the temple. International developments. Malachi. Obadiah.
25. Life and Literature of the Late Period
The work of Ezra and Nehemiah. The Jews of Elephantine. Ruth. Jonah.
26. The Great Documents of the Persian Period
The Chronicler. P. Torah and cult. The Psalms.
Part Nine: The Hellenistic Era
27. The Early Hellenistic Period
The period of Hellenistic rule. Esther. Joel. Deutero-Zechariah.
Proverbs. Ecclesiastes. Song of Songs. Ecclesiasticus (Sirach). Tobit.
29. The Period of Jewish Independence
Apocalypticism. Daniel. Judith. I Esdras.
Literature of the period. Baruch. The additions to Daniel. I Maccabees. II Maccabees. The Wisdom of Solomon. II Esdras.
Part Ten: Canon, Text and Translations
The Samaritan canon. The “Alexandrian canon.” The Qumran scriptures. The Jewish canon. The Christian canon.
32. Text, Manuscripts and Translations
Early translations. Translations into English.
Chart of Central Events in the Near East
Old Testament Life and Literature is copyright © 1968, 1997 by Gerald A. Larue. All rights reserved.
The electronic version is copyright © 1997 by Internet Infidels with the written permission of Gerald A. Larue.