Brief Biography of
Name: Richard Cevantis Carrier
Birth Date (YYYY.MM.DD): 1969.12.01
- B.A. History (minor in Classical Civilization), UC Berkeley (1997)
- M.A. Ancient History, Columbia University (1998)
- M.Phil. Ancient History, Columbia University (2000)
- Ph.D. Ancient History, Columbia University (2008)
- Fellow of the Westar Institute (Jesus Seminar)
- Member of American Atheists
- Member of the Association of Ancient Historians
- Member of the Freedom From Religion Foundation
- Member of the History of Science Society
- Member of the Secular Student Alliance
- Member of the Society of Biblical Literature
- Member of the Society for Classical Studies (formerly American Philological Association)
- Richard Carrier is the author and contributor to several books.
- See Richard Carrier's personal Writings Catalogue for the various indexes and lists of his writings online and in print, including a PDF list of his academic print publications.
- United States Coast Guard: 2 years (1990-1992). Achieved the rank of Petty Officer Third Class (E-4), qualified marksman, flight-deck firefighter, damage control petty officer, duty gunner's mate, and sonar technician (electronics, anti-submarine warfare). Served aboard the USCGC Sherman (Alameda), patrolled Alaskan, arctic, and international waters. National Service Medal. Navy Letter of Commendation. Honorable discharge at the convenience of the government.
- Parents were freethinking Methodists (mother was church secretary)
- Went to Sunday School, and to church on holy days
- Philosophical Taoist at the age of 15
- Atheist (Secular Humanist) at the age of 21
- Extensive study of philosophy and world religions, formal and informal
- Greek (Ancient)
- Married to Jennifer Robin Carrier (née Paynter) 1995 to 2015 (divorced).
Bookstore Bio: Richard Carrier
Other Bios: More About Dr. Carrier