Brief Biography of
John W. Loftus
Name: John W. Loftus
- B.R.E. Great Lakes Christian College, 1977.
- M.A. Theology/Philosophy, Lincoln Christian Seminary, 1982.
- M.Div. Theology/Philosophy, Lincoln Christian Seminary, 1982.
- Th.M. Philosophy of Religion, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, 1985.
- Entered but did not complete the Ph.D program, Theology/Ethics, Marquette University, 1986-1987.
- In the ministry for 14 years as an Associate Minister, Minister, and Senior Minister.
- President of a local ministerial association.
- President of a homeless shelter.
- Taught apologetics, philosophy, critical thinking, and ethics courses as an Adjunct Professor at various Christian and secular colleges.
- Why I Became an Atheist: A Former Preacher Rejects Christianity (Prometheus Books, 2008).
- Why I Became an Atheist: Personal Reflections and Additional Arguments (Trafford, 2008).
- The Christian Delusion: Why Faith Fails (forthcoming).
- Several articles in Christian magazines and journals when I was a Christian.
Personal: Happily married to the love of my life, who's also an atheist, and with whom I own a small business.
Hobbies: I'm an avid pool player who wrote a book on billiards titled "How to be The Captain of a Winning APA 8-Ball Team." In the American Poolplayers Association (APA) I'm a 7 in 8-Ball and a 9 in 9-Ball, their highest rankings. I have competed nationally in Las Vegas three times. Since 2004 I have written a monthly instructional column for the national billiard magazine, Inside Pool.
Homepage: Founded the Debunking Christianity blog.