Brief Biography of
Name: Dan Barker
Born (YYYY.MM.DD): 1949.06.25
Occupation: Public Relations Director, Freedom From Religion Foundation
- B.A. Religion, Azusa Pacific University (1975)
Publications and Artistic Creations:
- "Just Pretend: A Freethought Book for Children" (Madison, WI: FFRF, 1988)
- "Maybe Yes, Maybe No: A Guide for Young Skeptics" (Buffalo, NY: Prometheus, 1990)
- "Paradise Remembered: A Lenape Indian Childhood, and other stories" (editor, Madison, WI: Dan Barker Productions, 1991)
- "Maybe Right, Maybe Wrong: A Guide for Young Thinkers" (Buffalo, NY: Prometheus, 1992)
- "Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist" (Madison, WI: FFRF, 1992)
- "Mary Had a Little Lamb" (1977)
- "His Fleece Was White As Snow" (1978)
Other Relevant Misc. Info:
- Ordained to the ministry by the Standard Community Church, California, in 1975
- Announced his atheism publicly in 1984
- Debated numerous topics relating to freethought and religion including:
- Does God Exist?
- Did Jesus Rise From Dead?
- Jesus of Nazareth: Messiah or Myth?
- Is Christianity True?
- Is the bible an acceptable guide for morality?
- Has evolution provided greater benefits to society than creationism?
- Debate opponents have included:
- Dr. Norman Geisler, Christian apologist & author
- Michael Horner of the Society of Christian Philosophers
- Dr. Paul Maier, historian & Christian author, professor at Western Michigan University
- Dr. Greg Boyd, professor of Theology at Bethel College (MN)
- Professor John Franklin of Ontario Bible College (Toronto)
- Cliffe Knecthle of Campus Crusade for Christ
- Dr. Terry Morrison of Intervarsity Fellowship
- Dr. Walter Lowe of Candler School of Theology (Emory University)
- Numerous local ministers
- Speaks fluent Spanish and is studying Russian
- Belongs to a number of High-IQ societies, including The Prometheus Society, with an entrance requirement at the 99.997th percentile
- Member of the Lenni Lenape (Delaware Indian) Tribe of Native Americans
- Married to Annie Laurie Gaylor