Brief Biography of
Matthew Wade Ferguson
Name: Matthew Wade Ferguson
- Doctoral candidate, Classics, University of California-Irvine, 2012-present
- M.A. Classics (emphasis in Ancient History), University of Arizona, 2012
- B.S. Economics, University of Arizona, 2010
Awards & Scholarships:
- Brunner and Berkowitz Graduate Award in Classics, June 2016
- UCI Enhanced Dean's Fellowship, September 2012 – May 2018
- Hellenic Cultural Foundation Scholarship, April 2011
- Helen Roberti Scholarship, August 2010 – May 2012
- Rombach Institute Outstanding Student Award, October 2006
- UofA Wildcat Excellence Scholarship, August 2005 – May 2009
- Society of Biblical Literature
- American Academy of Religion
- Society for Classical Studies
- Classical Association of the Middle West and South
- Pacific Ancient and Modern Language Association
- "Ancient Historical Writing Compared to the Gospels of the New Testament" (2016) on the Secular Web.
- "Why Scholars Doubt the Traditional Authors of the Gospels (2017) on the Secular Web.
Dissertations & Theses:
- M.A.: Thematic Rings and Structure in Suetonius' De Vita Caesarum
- Ph.D.: The Gospels as Greek Popular-Novelistic Biographies: Blending History with Myth (expected completion in 2019)
Research Areas: Greek and Latin historiography, ancient biography, the New Testament, early Christianity, the Roman Empire, metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, philosophy of religion, atheism, naturalism, secularism.
Interests: I am a progressive political activist, blogger, debater, and advocate for the secularization of philosophy and the humanities in higher education.