Brief Biography of
Name: Richard C. Vitzthum
Born (YYYY): 1936
Occupation: Professor of English, University of Maryland, College Park
- B.A. Amherst College, 1957
- MAT. Harvard University, 1958
- Ph.D. Stanford University, 1963
- The American Compromise: Theme and Method in the Histories of Bancroft, Parkman and Adams (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1974).
- Land and Sea: The Lyric Poetry of Philip Freneau (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1978).
- Materialism: An Affirmative History and Definition (Amherst, N.Y.: Prometheus Books, 1995).
- Philosophical Materialism on the Secular Web.
- Numerous articles and reviews, 1965-present.
Other Relevant Misc. Info:
- Besides lifelong interests in philosophy, history, literature, and science, I'm devoted to classical music, hiking, skiing (alpine and nordic), jogging, golf, and my family (including grandchildren).