The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth
AFTER these things the Lord appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come.
2. Therefore he said unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.
3. Go your ways: behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves.
4. Carry neither purse, nor scrip, nor shoes: and salute no man by the way.
5. And into whatsoever house ye enter, first say, Peace be to this house.
6. And if the Son of Peace be there, your peace shall rest upon it: if not, it shall turn to you again.
7. And in the same house remain, eating and drinking such things as they give: for the labourer is worthy of his hire. Go not from house to house.
8. And into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you;
10. But into whatsoever city ye enter, and they recieve you not, go your ways out into the streets of the same, and say,
11. Even the very dust of your city, which cleaveth on us, we do wipe off against you: notwithstanding, be ye sure of this, that the kingdom of God is come nigh unto you.
12. But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable in that day for Sodom, than for that city.
Now the Jews' feast of tabernacles was at hand.
3. His brethren, therefore, said unto him, Depart hence, and go into Judea, that thy disciples also may see the works that thou doest.
4. For there is no man that doeth any thing in secret, and he himself seeketh to be known openly. If thou do these things, shew thyself to the world.
5. For neither did his brethren believe in him.
6. Then Jesus said unto them, My time is not yet come: but your time is alway ready.
7. The world cannot hate you: but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil.
8. Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast; for my time is not yet full come.
9. When he had said these words unto them, he abode still in Galilee.
10. But when his brethren were gone up, then went he also up unto the feast, not openly, but as it were in secret.
11. Then the Jews sought him at the feast, and said, Where is he?
12. And there was much murmuring among the people concerning him: for some said, He is a good man: others said, Nay; but he deceiveth the people.
13. Howbeit no man spake openly of him for fear of the Jews.
14. Now, about the midst of the feast, Jesus went up into the temple, and taught.
15. And the Jews marvelled, saying, How knoweth this man letters, having never learned?
16. Jesus answered them, and said,
19. Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law? Why go ye about to kill me?
20. The people answered, and said, Thou hast a devil: who goeth about to kill thee?
21. Jesus answered, and said unto them, I have done one work, and ye all marvel.
22. Moses, therefore, gave unto you circumcision, (not because it is of Moses, but of the fathers,) and ye on the sabbath-day circumcise a man.
23. If a man on the sabbath-day receive circumcision, that the law of Moses should not be broken; are ye angry at me, because I have made a man every whit whole on the sabbath-day?
24. Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgement.
25. Then said some of them of Jerusalem, Is not this he whom they seek to kill?
26. But, lo, he speaketh boldly, and they say nothing unto him; Do the rulers know indeed that this is the very Christ?
32. The Pharisees heard that the people murmured such things concerning him; and the Pharisees, and the chief priest sent officers to take him.
43. So there was a division among the people because of him.
44. And some of them would have taken him: but no man laid hands on him.
45. Then came the officers to the chief priests and Pharisees; and they said unto them, Why have ye not brought him?
46. The officers answered, Never man spake like this man.
47. Then answered them the Pharisees, Are ye also deceived?
48. Have any of the rulers, or of the Pharisees, believed on him?
49. But this people who knoweth not the law are cursed.
50. Nicodemus saith unto them, (he that came to Jesus by night, being one of them,)
51. Doth our law judge any man, before it hear him, and know what he doeth?
52. They answered, and said unto him, Art thou also of Galilee? Search, and look: for out of Galilee ariseth no prophet.
53. And every man went unto his own house.
email removed stephen