Atheist Universe: The Thinking Person's Answer to Christian Fundamentalism
New Expanded Edition
The world's best-selling book on atheism just got better. Building upon two years of voluminous reader feedback, David Mills has just revised and expanded Atheist Universe to include all the latest arguments and debate, including detailed rebuttals to the newest Christian books on "Intelligent Design."
The New Edition (published August 28, 2006, by Ulysses Press) also contains a special Foreword graciously written for Atheist Universe by Dorion Sagan, science writer, and son of astronomer Carl Sagan.
Clear, concise, and persuasive, Atheist Universe details exactly why God is unnecessary to explain the universe and life's diversity, organization, and beauty. The author thoroughly rebuts every argument that claims to "prove" God's existence--arguments based on logic, common sense, philosophy, ethics, history and science.
Atheist Universe avoids the esoteric language used by philosophers and presents its scientific evidence in simple lay terms, making it a richly entertaining and easy-to-read introduction to atheism. A comprehensive primer, it addresses all the historical and scientific questions, including: Is there proof that God does not exist? What evidence is there of Jesus' resurrection? Can creation science reconcile scripture with the latest scientific discoveries?
Atheist Universe also answers ethical issues such as: What is the meaning of life without God? It's a spellbinding inquiry that ultimately arrives at a controversial and well-documented conclusion.
Important Questions Answered in This Book
- What, precisely, is atheism, and why is it misunderstood so thoroughly?
- If God is a myth, then did the universe appear from nothing?
- Does the meticulous clockwork of planetary motion result from mindless random forces?
- Do atheists believe that human beings evolved through blind accident from lifeless matter?
- Do the splendor and intricacy of life on Earth reveal evidence of intelligent design by a supernatural Creator?
- Can atheists prove that God does not exist?
- What about Creation Science, and the popular new movement to reconcile Scripture and science?
- Have recent scientific discoveries pointed to God's governance of the cosmos?
- Did Albert Einstein believe in God?
- Does the fact that energy cannot be destroyed lend credibility to a belief in eternal life?
- Without God, can there be a valid system of ethics or an objective "right" and "wrong"?
- Does religion encourage moral conduct and civilized behavior? Is the Golden Rule really such a bad idea?
- What is the meaning of life without God?
- When we die, are we simply dead like dogs?
- Did atheists suffer a trauma in childhood that warped them into blasphemous rebellion?
- Because of ubiquitous injustice on Earth, is an afterlife required to redress the imbalance, where evil is ultimately punished and virtue rewarded?
- Is atheism just another crackpot religion?
- What's the harm in a person's private spirituality? Does humanity have everything to gain, and nothing to lose, through belief in God (even if He's only imaginary)?
- Apart from the Bible, is there secular historical evidence of Jesus' miracles and resurrection?
- How do atheists explain "near death" experiences and medical miracles which amaze even skeptical doctors?
- Why should a tiny minority of atheists be able to force their opinions on everyone else by banning prayer in public schools?
- Since "there are no atheists in foxholes," have famous nonbelievers recanted on their deathbeds?
- Did Old and New Testament prophecies correctly predict events which actually unfolded during our own lifetimes?
- What about the Shroud of Turin and the discovery of wood fragments from Noah's Ark on Mount Ararat in Turkey?
- Does the Law of Entropy (or the "running down" of the universe) contradict evolutionary theory, which asserts that Nature's complexity is increasing?
- Is there absolute proof that man evolved from a lower form of life?
- Even if you believe that all life evolved from a single cell, how could complex cellular life originate without a Creator?
- Is atheism a totally negative philosophy, leading only to cynicism and despair?
- Does communism's past embrace of atheism prove that atheism is an evil and failed philosophy?
- Was America really founded upon Christian principles by Christian believers?
- What is the true, behind-the-scenes relationship between politics and religion in 21st-century America?
All of these questions--and hundreds of others--are fully confronted and methodically answered in the riveting pages of Atheist Universe.
Mills makes several points abundantly clear:
- Genesis and science are wholly incompatible.
- Citing the intervention of God, in order to explain that which we don't yet understand, has reliably delayed our discovery of true explanations.
- The supernatural need not be invoked to explain anything about the world in which we live.
- Evolution is essentially a fact, while creationism and all its mutations are unscientific and fundamentally misinformed.
- Jesus' historical existence is doubtful, at best!
"The publication of David's work on the dangers and disadvantages of devout religiosity will be very useful for anyone with harmful religious beliefs. Honest, frank, and right to the point! I found it very fine reading." - Albert Ellis, Ph.D., father of modern psychotherapy, author of A Guide to Rational Living and 53 other books.
"I like this material very much. David Mills says very ably and clearly all that needs to be said." - Ashley Montagu, Ph.D., Princeton anthropologist, author of The Elephant Man.
Editions (via Amazon):